Position: Data Visualization Consultant
Location: Berkeley, CA (Remote work options available)
At İstanpolis, our focus is on exploring Greek Orthodox communities in late Ottoman Istanbul, connecting users to the latest scholarship, memoirs, and primary sources. Through data projects, we navigate historical demography, migration patterns, and cultural identities, aiming for a comprehensive understanding of community life encompassing legal, administrative, ecclesiastical, social, cultural, and political aspects.
- some knowledge of Wikibase LOD is preferrable
- Experience with D3.js, Chart.js, or equivalent libraries.
- Strong grasp of web APIs and database interaction for frontend data retrieval.
- Genuine interest in historical research and Greek Orthodox communities.
- Ability to decipher intricate datasets for meaningful visualizations.
- Collaborative spirit with excellent communication skills.
- Collaborate with our historians and data teams to fashion interactive data visualizations.
- Pull data from İstanpolis historical databases for use in visualizations
- Integrate visualizations seamlessly into İstanpolis websites.
- Optimize and iterate based on valuable user feedback and research requirements.
- Foster connections with ongoing projects mapping diverse urban communities.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in History, Data Science, IT, or related field (or equivalent).
- Previous work experience on historical research or data visualization projects.
- Previous work experience with web APIs, particularly for use in data retrieval
- Familiarity with Digital Humanities and urban community mapping is a plus.
How to Apply:
The İstanpolis team invites you to be part of unraveling Greek Orthodox history through data visualization. Take the first step by applying with your resume, portfolio, and samples to Istanpolis1923@gmail.com. Together, let's illuminate the past and shape the future of historical research. Apply today!